It’s Friday morning before work and I’m sitting here writing this blog post, but it’s anyone’s guess as to when it will actually post (or if it will disappear into space like a couple other posts have). Since Blogger has been down, I’ve been wondering how it was that I actually lived without blogging and reading blogs. Interestingly enough, the fact that I may have to find some non-blog entertainment until Blogger is restored ties right into Katy’s Friend Friday questions this week. The theme is “Outside Influence”, and it’s all about our influences outside the blogosphere.
1. What magazines do you subscribe to? I subscribe to InStyle and Real Simple, and until recently, I subscribed to Everyday with Rachael Ray. I read InStyle for the fashion, but I usually skip over the celebrity stuff (which is really quite a big chunk of that magazine… maybe I should re-think that subscription!). I love the tips, decorating advice and recipes in Real Simple. Between the magazines I read and the food blogs and websites I read, I had more recipes than I knew what to do with, which is why I stopped subscribing to Rachael Ray. Oh, and I almost forgot—I just signed up for a subscription to All You magazine, which supposedly is full of coupons. I’ve become a crazy coupon lady.
2. Do you watch any fashion TV shows? No, not regularly. If I’m watching TV and it’s on, I like to watch What Not to Wear. That’s about it though.
3. Beyond blogs, what websites do you frequent for fashion inspiration? Sometimes I check out magazine websites, such as Glamour, Lucky and InStyle. From time to time, I’ll check out Style.com for runway shows as well. Additionally, I like looking at retailer’s (like J. Crew, Shop Bop and Loft) look books for inspiration.
4. Advertisements play a huge role in forming public opinion about a product or brand… what ads do you like and why? Only a couple really stand out to me right now. One is Kate Spade, because I love her use of bold, bright colors. Also, I always love Target's commercials, and I have for a few years now. They have a great marketing team!
5. Do you own any fashion books? Yes, but only two that I can think of. I bought one in high school, I think it’s actually called The Fashion Book, it’s big and red and talks about fashion design from past to present. The other fashion book I own is the Lucky Magazine Shopping Guide. It has some good advice for building a versatile wardrobe. There are two other books I’d like to have, and both are written by bloggers. I’d like to buy Jessica Quirk’s (of What I Wore) Four Seasons, One Closet, and I’d also love to have Jill’s (of The Good Life for Less) e-book the 50 Things Every Woman Simply Must Own.
Song: Fashion by David Bowie